2 & 3 Dec - The ILTTA winds down their 4 day fishing extravaganza with tremendous results:
If you were wondering were to catch a Pacific Sailfish, you may want to remember to add Guatemala to your list. 30 Boats fished all four days of this Tournament to release 1,169 Sailfish. That is a 39 fish average per boat!
This was a very tight Tournament with only one fish separating 1st (Canazo) and 2nd Place (Spindrift) in the boat division and there was a tie in the Angler Division with Carlos Barnes and Ricky Jaen both releasing 24 Sailfish.
1st Puerto Rico Light Tackle 59 Sailfish
2nd Guatemala 5 52 Sailfish
3rd Guatemala 6 52 Sailfish
1st Carlos Barnes 24 Sailfish
2nd Ricky Jaen 24 Sailfish
3rd Rafael Martinez 21 Sailfish
* Next up (3-4-5) are Richard Draschil & Peter Paulson from Chesterton, Indiana (my old backyard) on the Rum Line
* (5) Matt Harris from the UK taking photos for the Mako Reels-Charlton group with Jake Jordan on the Intensity
The Jake Jordan report:
This week was a tribute to my late friend Jack Charlton who designed and built his incredible Mako fly reels. Jack's wife Judy Charlton, along with friends, Mark Vorobic, Keefer Meranto, Jerry Jenkins, Richie Glonek, and Photographer Matt Harris, traveled to Casa Vieja Lodge to celebrate Jack and re live his favorite all time fishing trip
This year we fished for 3 days, and had relatively slow fishing for Guatemala, however 5 anglers caught a total of 8 Sailfish on fly, and my buddy Keefer fought a 250 pound blue Marlin for 5 minutes before the fly came out. Every one had a great time while fishing aboard "Intensity' with Captain Mike Sheeder and "Makaira" with Captain Jason Brice. Casa Vieja Lodge was lit up for Christmas, the food, beverage, service, and staff where even better than usual.
* At the same time as the Mako group was the Phillips party fishing on the Captain Hook.
The boat raised 12 sails, had 8 bites and anglers released 5 sails one on fly. They also had one blue on but lost it minutes later.
* Brett Combs brought 32 of his best salesmen and customers to the Lodge last week (10-11 Dec). Fishing only two days the boats raised 116 sails and anglers released 70. Additionally the boats raised eight blues and anglers released four.
* The Mitchell group of 11 anglers from North Carolina and Georgia is currently fishing. The results are amazing. In the first 2 days Intensity raised 103 sails, the anglers have released 50; Captain Hook raised 73, the anglers have released 49; Rum Line raised 69 sails and 1 blue and anglers have released 38 sails, never hooking the blue.
Last edited by marlinhunter2; 12-22-11 at 09:20 AM.
More to follow with final count for Mitchell-Montgomery anglers
Captain Hook reports total of 106 raised, 92 bites & 62 releases for the Montgomery anglers
* The Evans family is there now aboard the Captain Hook and Rum Line (20-21-22): Captain Hook reports for the three day trip 79 sails raised and 2 blues, with 71 sail bites and anglers (George III, George Jr, John & Nathan) releasing 40 sails. Rum Line reports 64 raises, 52 bites and anglers (Geoffrey, George Sr, Jay, Grant & Erik) releasing 31 sails.
Last edited by marlinhunter2; 12-23-11 at 08:41 AM.
* The McGee-Hughes party (27-28-29) fishing aboard the Rum Line the boat raised 25 sails and 7 blues. Anglers Dr. and Mrs. McGee and Ken Hughes and Isabelle Small released 13 sails and 2 blues, 125 & 400 lbs.
* The Best family (28-29-30) fishing aboard the Captain Hook the boat raised 41 sails and 8 blues. Anglers Munroe, Clement, Frank Robert and Thomas did their best releasing 14 sails and 2 blues, largest 300 lbs.
Finals for the month raised, bites and released:
Makaira 21-20-and 12 sails released
Spindrift 43-31-and 25 released; 3 1 - and 1 blue released
Intensity 126-113- and 65 sails released
Release 175-143-and 89 sails released; 5 5- and 2 released blues
Captain Hook 151 115- and 104 sails released; 18 11 and 5 blues released
Rum Line 170 141 and 88 sails released; 9 3 - and 2 blues released
Totals: 686 raised 563 bites 383 sails released / plus 35 raised 20 bites 10 blues released